Discover the Churches and Monasteries
An invaluable treasure lies within churches, chapels and monasteries located not only all over the Platanias Municipality region but also all over the Chania Prefecture. Here the visitor can experience an unsurpassed religious tourism or even carry out or take part in research on Byzantine Art and religious Architecture.
The temple of Archangel Michael in the village of Kato Episkopi is the most important Byzantine monument of Crete, dating back to the second half of the 6th century AD; the church is the only circular place of worship (rotunda) in South Greece, with exquisite murals, unique floor mosaics and the remnants of an early-Christian cemetery in its yard. It has been a Monastery, the seat of the Episcope and a Revolutionary Centre in the years of the Turkish occupation.
Other churches and chapels, all over the Chania Prefecture, worth visiting are :
- The Chapel of St. George in Komitades village, Sfakia (1314 AD)
- St Nicolas in the Monastery of Selino (erected in 1315 AD)
- The Archangel Michael in the village of Kavalaria, Kandanou (1328)
- The church of the Holy Mother in the village of Kakodiki, Selino (1332)
- St Nicolas in Kyriakoselia village, Apokoronas
- The church of the Holy Mother in the village of Stylos ( 12th century)
- The Basilica of the first Byzantine Era in Sougia village
In the Platanias Area the following are worth visiting :
- The Monastery of Panagia Odigitria or Moni Gonia:The monastery owes its name (Gonia in Greek means corner, edge) to its location at the edge of the bay. Built in 1618 by a Venetian family of aristocrats, it hides invaluable Byzantine and church treasures. The monastery served as a bastion for Crete’s struggle for independence. Projectiles remaining lodged into its exterior walling stand as a witness to the battles that took place there. Opening hours: Daily except Saturday, from 8.00 am to 12.00 noon and 16.00pm to 19.00 pm. Free Entrance.
- The Monastery of Agia Triada Tzagarolon and Gouverneto in Akrotiri
- The Monastery of Chryssopigi in Mournies
- The Monastery of Chryssoskalitissa near Elafonissi